Applications are submitted online via our Submittable portal. Applicants will create an account and can save and come back to edit their in-progress applications prior to submission. Supporting documents are uploaded through the application portal. The application must be fully complete and submitted in Submittable and recommendation letters submitted to Paula Jones by the deadline to be considered.
How to Apply:
1. Complete online application within the Submittable portal, including:
- 500 word personal statement outlining: a) your plans to enter a health profession; b) how you can help your health profession become more diverse and inclusive; c) why you should be selected as a 2023 fellow
2. Submit supporting documentation by uploading it to your Submittable application:
- Current unofficial transcripts
- For 2023 high school graduate applicants only: documentation by a counselor on school letterhead confirming anticipated 2023 graduation date or a copy of letter of acceptance to an accredited undergraduate program.
3. Letters of Recommendation: contact 2 professional references to submit letters of recommendation on your behalf.
- Professional references can be an employer, community individual, teacher, or academic advisor
- Letters of recommendation must be on letterhead and emailed directly to Paula Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org from the recommender by the application deadline.
The online application must be submitted by March 20, 2023. All supporting documentation must be uploaded to the application portal and letters of recommendation emailed directly to Paula Jones by the deadline for an application to be considered complete.
Summer Careers Academy Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to participate in the Summer Careers Academy, all applicants must be/have:
- A South Carolina resident or enrolled in a SC school, college or university
- 18 years old on or before June 12, 2022 - no exceptions
- Sincere interest in one of the participating health professions
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Currently enrolled in or accepted to an accredited college or university for the fall of 2023 with an interest in pursuing a career in a designated Academy career path
- Completed graduation/GED requirements prior to June 12, 2022 (Medicine, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, or Physical Therapy tracks)
- Dental track requirement (college students only): Graduated from high school by December 2022 and earned a minimum of 12 hours of academic credit from an accredited college or university
- Follow-up: Academy Fellows are required to sign a release document that will allow their progress to be tracked through the respective educational programs with quarterly contact with the student and/or academic program advisor.
Note: Applicants not meeting all eligibility requirements will not be considered.
Please contact Paula M. Jones, SC AHEC Director of Health Careers Program, at email@example.com or 843-792-4443 if you have questions.