Applications are submitted online via our Submittable portal. Applicants will create an account in order to save and come back to edit their in-progress applications prior to submission. All supporting documents are uploaded through the application portal. To be considered, the application must be fully complete and submitted in Submittable with recommendation letters submitted to Paula Jones by March 25, 2024.
How to Apply:
1. Complete online application within the Submittable portal, including:
- 500-word personal statement outlining: a) your plans to enter a health profession or b) why you should be selected as a Summer Careers Academy fellow
2. Submit supporting documentation by uploading it to your Submittable application:
- Current unofficial transcripts
- For 2024 high school graduate applicants only: documentation by a counselor on school letterhead confirming anticipated 2024 graduation date or a copy of letter of acceptance to an accredited undergraduate program.
3. Letters of Recommendation: contact 2 professional references to submit letters of recommendation on your behalf.
- Professional references can be an employer, community individual, teacher, or academic advisor
- Letters of recommendation must be on letterhead and emailed directly to Paula Jones at email@example.com from the recommender by the application deadline.
The online application must be submitted by March 25, 2024 at 5:00pm EDT.
All supporting documentation must be uploaded to the application portal and letters of recommendation must be received by Paula Jones by March 25, 2024 for your application to be considered complete.
Summer Careers Academy Eligibility Requirements
To participate in the Summer Careers Academy, all applicants must be/have:
- A South Carolina resident or enrolled in a SC school, college or university
- 18 years old on or before June 1, 2024 - no exceptions
- Sincere interest in one of the participating health professions
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Currently enrolled in or accepted to an accredited college or university for the fall of 2024 with an interest in pursuing a career in a designated Academy career path
- Completed graduation/GED requirements prior to June 1, 2024 (Medicine, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, or Physician Assistant tracks)
- Dental track requirement (college students only): Graduated from high school by December 2023 and earned a minimum of 12 hours of academic credit from an accredited college or university
- Follow-up: Academy Fellows are required to sign a release document that will allow their progress to be tracked through the respective educational programs with quarterly contact with the student and/or academic program advisor.
Note: Applicants not meeting all eligibility requirements will not be considered.
Please contact Paula M. Jones, SC AHEC Director of Health Careers Program, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-792-4443 if you have questions.